Upon the death of both her parents in 1989 (mom in February, and dad, later in July), she says “God summoned me to the helm of the funeral home. It was that year that I renamed the business Clark (Memorial) Funeral Service, because I knew from that day forward, this would become a memorial operation, memorializing my father’s profound work in this community. It was after Daddy’s death, that I made the decision to formalize my training in Funeral Service.” In August of 1993, she graduated with honors with an Associate in Applied Science in Funeral Service, from Gupton-Jones College of Funeral Service in Decatur, Georgia.
In November 1988, as a result of work done through her father's courageous efforts in serving as a Plaintiff against The Randolph County Board of Education, Charlotte was able to run for and win a seat on the Randolph County Board of Education, where she served for a total of 18 years. She was only a year into her tenure as a member of the Randolph County Board Of education when her parents died in 1989.
Under her stewardship, many improvements were made in and around the facility. Some of those improvements include the following:
1. 1990 – completed a remodel of the funeral home facility
2. 1990 – Adopted Southland National Insurance Company, Birmingham, Alabama, as our pre-need insurer
3. 1990 – Established a Comprehensive In-House Advance Planning Program
4. 1990 – Transitioned to computerized funeral processing, accounting and bookkeeping. This
allowed us to streamline our funeral processing and arrangement time from 8 hours, to less than 1 hour.
No longer would families have to spend more than an hour for us to manually complete the billing and invoicing for the funeral services.
5. 1991 – Built and established the first website for the funeral home www.clarkmemorial.biz
6. August, 1992, Successfully completed Life Insurance Producer Training Course at Jefferson State Community College in Birmingham, Alabama.
7. September 10, 1992, Successfully passed the Alabama examination for Life Insurance and became licensed by Alabama Insurance Commission as a licensed life-insurance agent. This enabled us to enhance and expand our Preneed Offerings to include insurance products.
8. 1993 – 2nd Update to Preparation Area, including re-flooring the area.
9. 1999 – Undertook a second re-model/redesign. Updated preparation area, this time enlarging the area, and acquiring updated embalming equipment.
10. 2000 – Superintended grading and landscaping project, expanding our parking facility
11. 2005 – Authored Wilkie Clark’s Biography, entitled “Chief Cook & Bottle-Washer, The Unconquerable Soul Of Wilkie Clark.”
12. 2005 – February 18, hosted the Funeral Home’s 38th Anniversary Observance and launched Wilkie Clark’s Biography during which time the Historical Significance of Wilkie Clark was written in the archives of Randolph County, Alabama.
13. 2005 – February, 18, launched The Wilkie Clark Memorial Foundation.
14. February 18, 2016 - We particpated in Roanoke's Annual Black History Parade, and on the same day, hosted our 46th Anniversary observance, with our friends Mr. and Mrs. Bruce and Yolanda Griggs from Hampton, Georgia, when we fed well over 250 guests. It was a whole-day event, and many of our long-time friends, and former staff members came by and visited with us that day.
15. 2018 - Ran as a proud Democrat, for the office of Alabama State Representative for Alabama's 37th District. While we did not win the election, this gave us a strong platform through which to make bold statements concerning the social and political status of marginalized citizens throughout the 37th District.
16. 2019 - Worked with her partners and staff to implement The Funeral Home's 50th Anniversary promotional project.
17. 2019 - Continued to work toward improvement/expansion of the funeral home facility.
18. 2020 - She was largely responsible for succeeding in having Clark Funeral Home named to the Alabama register of Landmarks and Heritage. This is an on-going project which you can learn more about by visiting the following link: Visit Website